Monday, August 20, 2018

1962 STATESVILLE, N.C. WRESTLING - PART ONE

April 6, 1962
STATESVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA


CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE






I actually have memories of attending this JIM CROCKETT PROMOTIONS wrestling card, although my recollection was a bit flawed.

All these years, I had it in my mind that GEORGE BECKER wrestled BULL RAMOS in the main event.

When I came across these newspaper clippings of the show, I was surprised that BECKER's opponent was the diabolical PANCHO VILLA. That's OK, because now I know that I actually saw PANCHO wrestle in person, not just on TV.

JOHNNY WEAVER shared some great VILLA stories with a group of us driving to Virginia a few years ago. Unfortunately, I can't retell those stories here without "dilluting" them to the point they would lose their humor.

The specifics of this wrestling I recall are few. I have no recollection of the matches, except for the main event.

What I do recall...my Grandfather took me to this show, which was fitting, as he is the person responsible for getting me "hooked on pro wrestling." I'll always be in his debt for that. The other thing that comes to mind is that GEORGE BECKER lost the main event to PANCHO VILLA, an occurence so traumatic to little eleven-year-old me that I cried in the car on the way home because my hero had been defeated.

That's all I can tell you.

No comments: